Thursday, December 18, 2008

A marriage in a bishop's office

HELLO Family!!

Okay I have lots of news!!! Okay first thing Jason got baptized!!! He got baptized on Sunday right after church. It was supposed to be tonight because the standard is that you have to stop smoking for 2 weeks before baptism. But it was going to be really hard to do the baptism tonight because Jason usually works late and then not very many members of the ward would probably attend. So we called President and described the situation and he thought Jason was sincere enough that the baptism could be moved up 2 days. And guess what else?!!! Jason and Naomi got married too!!! It was totally last minute thing. They got married right before church in the Bishop’s office. So super big day for Jason!! The baptism was amazing!! The spirit was so strong at the baptism and when Jason came up out of the water he was smiling so big!! I am so glad he got to be baptized on Sunday, church was awesome and it was a great build up to the baptism. It was mostly about Christ and why it’s so important to celebrate Christmas. And the songs Jason chose for the baptism were “Our Savior’s Love” and “Come Unto Jesus” which were so appropriate because they were about how it’s only through Christ that we can be made clean again and have any hope. What a great day!! I got to learn so much about God’s love for us and the covenants we make at baptism. Christ has given us the greatest gift EVER! And all he asks in return is that we follow Him. We follow His example as we get baptized and we make a covenant that we will continue to follow Him. President Thornock said that Jason sounded like King Lamoni in Alma 22:15-18, where he says that he would give away all his sins to know God. It gave whole new meaning to that scripture to see such a real life application. Jason might have made some mistakes in his past but he is truly repenting. He is willing to do whatever it takes, he is a great example for us, what little sins do we hang on to that keep us from knowing God? This is the most awesome and most beautiful thing I have ever been able to be apart of. Really though, that’s all I have done is watched this thing happen, we haven’t done anything. Jason was so ready and he opened his heart and the Spirit did the rest. Other people we teach I am worried about them staying active, but Jason I have no worries, he has a great family to support him and he is truly converted.
Okay now the next news which is not nearly so pleasant. I have to say goodbye to Sister Hill. Transfers are tomorrow and she is leaving to go up to West Virginia, she is going to be companions with my MTC companion Sister Taylor!! My new companion is going to be Sister Peck, who was Sister Hill’s companion about 7 months ago. I hear she is really fun. I am really glad I get to stay in Christiansburg especially for Christmas. We are going to the Burner’s, they have a son that is serving in Arizona. I have no idea about when I will be calling you guys, but I will by next Tuesday so I will let you know.
So on Saturday, Sister Hill and I went to Wendy’s for dinner. And later we realized that they hadn’t charged us for the frosty we got. Now it’s only like $1.49, but how can we teach people about honesty and be Christlike if we aren’t honest. So we went back and paid for it. The look on the kids face at the cash register was hilarious, he said “Are you serious?” in the most incredulous tone ever. Then we looked at our tags and said “Oh okay, whatever.” It was pretty funny and entertaining.
Oh, so I am looking for ideas for how to make lessons more interactive. For example, apostasy jenga to teach about the apostasy and the Restoration. Or if you get a jar full of sand and rocks, if you put the sand in first, the rocks don’t fit. But if you put the rocks in first, the sand fills in the cracks, to show about putting God first. Something like that. So if you have any ideas or find anything like that I would really appreciate it. Something especially for kids or even teenagers.
Life is awesome, I love the Gospel. Christ Loves us!! Don’t forget what Christmas is really about!!!
Sister Hill and I have to go pack now!!!

I LOVE you All!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Sister Nicole Polatis

P.S. You better be saving up your letters to send in a Christmas package or something because I haven’t gotten any letters in a long time. So long in fact that Sister Hill has started asking in her prayers that I will get mail. I think she feels guilty, she got 6 letters in 2 days last week. I don’t like her pity so send mail Please!!

No comments: