Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Funny Stuff

Dear Family,

So last week Sister Hamaker was sick, so we stayed in for a few days. I got a little bit of cabin fever, but I got a lot of cleaning done. So I don’t have a ton to write today. We taught several lessons to people we are trying to get progressing. We taught this guy, Mike, who is 32, an alcoholic, still living at home, no money, works for his dad, he used to play the violin in a symphony but he got kicked out for being drunk all the time. Well the sisters started teaching him a few months ago and he started making some big changes, and then he disappeared. He got depressed or something and started avoiding the missionaries. Well Sister Hamaker was really frustrated with him and so she was giving him one last chance. We set up an appointment and he was there! YAY! But she let him know she was not happy, she was actually a little short with him. Now that normally wouldn’t go over well with other investigators, but Mike needed that. It helped him see that we are serious and he needs to do what he commits to do. Now he has been keeping his commitments and he has been calling us to set things up. Nobody ever calls us! Not even good, responsible people! Sister Hamaker did a good job in following the Spirit and being angry! Ha ha. Mike is a really random guy. And he doesn’t like his life and how he has ruined it. He kept calling himself evil and by the end of the lesson he was referring to himself as evil Mike. Ha ha.
Last week, a nine year old taught me how to play poker with his pennies. Haha, I don’t think what he taught me was poker though. It was fun though. His mom is Amy, who was baptized in August. We are trying to teach him so he can be baptized but he is only partly interested, I think it will help when she starts bringing him to church regularly and he goes to primary and we are teaching his sister Brandi, who is getting baptized in November, she is 8.
The other day we went to the pet store because we wanted to play with the animals. I was trying to pick up a hamster and he bit me! Hard. That little guy drew blood! Then he ran and hid in his little running wheel, I was so tempted to give him a little spin.
Yesterday we went tracting in an apartment complex. At one door a lady answered with the phone to her ear and just stared at us. So I apologized for catching her on the phone and asked if we could give her a card. She just stared at us and then slammed the door. So we were laughing about that and we went to the next door. Another lady answered the door and Sister Hamaker starts into an approach and the lady says, “I’m sorry, I’m going to shut the door now.” And then she shut the door. Ha ha. She totally apologized about shutting the door on us before she did it. So we had a pretty entertaining tracting day.
On Sunday we had the Primary program, which was so good. Of course it was choppy, you couldn’t understand a lot of what the kids said, they forgot the words to the songs, one kid totally started crying and screaming into the mike when it was his turn. But it didn’t matter, it was still great. They totally invited the Spirit. And we had 3 less actives there and 3 nonmembers and 1 investigator. And lots of people were in tears. One of the nonmembers was the husband of one of the stalwarts in this ward. She died a few months ago. He has never been to a sacrament meeting in all the years he was married to his wife. But he came because his grandson gave him an invitation. Everyone in the ward was shocked to see him there. It was so great. Kids are great. God works by small and simple things and by weak things will great things come to pass. I’ve thought about that a lot lately because I have felt very weak and imperfect. And here I have this huge responsibility to teach people about the Gospel, luckily we don’t have to do it alone. And if we are humble and trust God, He will help us. Ether 12:27 says that God gives us weaknesses so that we will be humble. We need to recognized that we need God, but that is not a weakness to be submissive and humble, that is a strength because then God helps us and takes us to newer heights.
Well love ya all like squirrels like nuts.
Sister Polatis

No comments: